Welcome to the Brucella Bioinformatics Portal (BBP)!
Brucella is a Gram-negative, facultative intracellular coccobacillus which causes zoonotic brucellosis in humans and a variety of animal species. Brucellosis is one of the most common zoonotic diseases worldwide. Brucellosis is also re-emerging zoonosis. As described by Pappas et al, "human brucellosis remains the commonest zoonotic disease worldwide with more than 500 000 new cases annually".
The Brucellae are taxonomically placed in the alpha-2 subdivision of the class Proteobacteria. Traditionally there are six species of Brucella based on the preferential host specificity: B. melitensis (goats), B. abortus (cattle), B. suis (swine), B. canis (dogs), B. ovis (sheep) and B. neotomae (desert mice);
two new species B. cetaceae (cetacean) and B. pinnipediae (seal) have recently been described by Cloeckaert et al. [Microbes Infect (2001) 3, 729-738]. The first four species are pathogenic to humans in decreasing order of severity making brucellosis a zoonotic disease. These Brucella species have been identified as priority agents amenable for use in biological warfare and bio-terrorism and listed as NIAID category B priority pathogens. Complete genome sequences of 25 Brucella strains are now available. A Brucella genome usually has two circular chromosomes of approximately 2.1 MB and 1.2 MB and has a GC content of approximately 57%. There are approximately 3,200 - 3,400 ORFs in each genome. The DNA sequences among different Brucella spp. share greater than 90% homology. The Brucella taxonomy is available here from the NCBI Taxonomy database and is also overseen by the Brucella Taxonomy Committee.
This BBP website is dedicated to becoming a bioinformatics resource portal for the Brucella research community to facilitate Brucella reearch.
BBP has long been developed by Dr. He and used as a model for the overall PHIDIAS development. BBP includes a list of programs for analysis of
Brucella and host-Brucella interactions:
- Genomic Sequence Analysis:
- Brucella Genome Analysis: Detailed analysis and download of the Brucella genome, gene, protein and sequence data.
- Protein Domains in Brucella: This program searches Brucella -specific protein domains. As an integrated part of Pacodom, this program can also be used to search and compare protein domains of other pathogens.
- PHI Specific Curation:
- General Brucellosis Information: General information about Brucella and brucellosis as part of Phinfo. Please click here for advanced topic search of Brucella and brucellosis.
- Brucella Gene Query: This program searches
Brucella and host genes. This is part of Phigen that also be used to compare with other pathogen genes.
- Brucella Virulence Factors: A collection of Brucella virulence factors.
- Host-Brucella Interaction Network: this program analyze networks involving the interactions between Brucella and hosts. It is part of Phinet that also targets for many other pathogens.
- Brucella as a Hazard: This program focuses on
Brucella-related safety and administrative issues. It is part of HazARD that is also able to compare safety and administrative issues between
Brucella and other pathogens.
- Brucella-specific Gene Expression:
- Phix: PHI Gene Expression Database.
- MacroPath: Macrophage-Brucella Interaction.
- Brucella-specific literature:
- LiteSearch: Brucella literature search and mining programs.
- Publications: Brucella-specific publications and links.
Other relevant projects developed by He Group:
Additional Web Links:
Zuoshuang Xiang, Wenjie Zheng and Yongqun He. BBP: Brucella genome annotation with literature mining and curation. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006 Jul 16;7(1):347. (Highly Accessed). PMID: 16842628.
Listed are the news related to Brucella research and development. Please submit your news to us and we will have it posted here. Thank you.
- 7/21/2016:Brucellosis 2015 (69th) International Research Conference meeting information by Ms. Sue Hagius:
- Registration: 20 May, 2016 onwards
- Last date for abstract submission extended to: 15 August, 2016
- Booking of accommodation before: 30 August, 2016
Cancellation: 15 October, 2016
- 6/27/2016:Brucellosis 2015 (69th) International Research Conference meeting announcement by Ms. Sue Hagius:
- Meeting website: http://www.dbtbrucellosis.in/brucellosis2016/
- Meeting venue: New Delhi, India
- Meeting time: November 17-19, 2016.
- VISA: International participants require “Conference Visa” to attend the conference. You will need to submit an invitation letter along with the visa application. An invitation letter from the local organizing committee chairs will be sent via email to everyone who has either registered or submitted an abstract to present at the conference. If you have not yet registered but plan to attend the conference, please send your email and institutional affiliation information to Ramesh (email@example.com), and he will arrange for the invitation letter to be sent to you right away.
- Flying to New Delhi: Indira Gandhi International Airport (Code: DEL) is the main airport in New Delhi. Plane fares are generally cheaper during November (at this time, a roundtrip ticket from many cities in the US to New Delhi is less than $1000).
- 9/3/2015: Brucellosis 2015 (68th) International Research Conference meeting announcement: Sue Hagius made a few announcements:
- Please find the meeting announcement with the links for your hotel reservation as well as the links to an online registration service.
- Check out the instructions for the RegOnline process. "Should you wish to use a credit card for your registration, you must use this online site; and there will be an additional charge added to your registration fee by the service. "
- On-site registration will also be conducted prior to the meeting opening on Saturday morning, but NO credit cards will be accepted -only cash or checks.
- "I hope that many of you will be able to join us in Chicago, December 5-6, 2015. I encourage you to also consider attending CRWAD if your budget and schedule permits. Please share this email with your colleagues who may not be on the Bruce List. " - by Sue.
- 9/2/2015: Sue Hagius posted a flyer for the PATRIC workshop following this year's Brucellosis Conference. Also, major points for the Brucellosis-2015 meeting:
- Meeting dates- December 5-6, 2015; 8 am to 5pm each day
- Hotel reservations - Make your Chicago Marriott, Downtown Magnificent Mile reservations prior to November 11, 2015, to receive the discounted CRWAD rate ($182 plus tax for single or double occupancy/$132 federal government rate). You may call them Toll–Free: 1-877-303-0104 or 1-866-596-7456 for international calls (request the CRWAD RATE) or make your reservations online at the link on the CRWAD web site (this custom web link has the correct code already filled in). You will need a credit card number for confirmation.
- Titles and abstracts due by October 16, 2015 - send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 8/23/2015: The deadline for submitting poster and oral presentation abstracts for the 96th Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD). CRWAD will be held on December 7-9, 2015 Marriott Downtown on the Magnificent Mile, Chicago, IL. This year's Brucellosis conference will be held as a CRWAD satellite meeting on Dec 5 (Saturday) to Dec 6 (Sunday) on the Salon A/B/C/D on the fifth floor of the same hotel.
- 5/15/2014: For this year's Brucellosis conference (http://www.bfr.bund.de/en/brucellosis_2014.html):
- Abstracts submission closing: 30 May 2014;
- End of early registrations: 30 June 2014;
- End of online registration: 31 August 2014 (on-site registration will be possible);
- Hotel reservation deadlines: 9 May - 29 July 2014.
- Brucellosis 2014 International Research Conference: 9 - 12 September 2014.
- Conference Venue: Federal Institute for Risk Assessment (Bundesinstitut für Risikobewertung, BfR) in Marienfelde which is located in the south of Berlin.
- 3/11/2014: Ready for registration for the Brucellosis 2014 International Research Conference. For more information please visit the conference website at: http://www.bfr.bund.de/en/brucellosis_2014.html. The deadline for abstract submissions is May 30.
- 11/8/2013: Cut-off hotel reservation date extended to Nov 30, for hotel group rate room reservations for CRWAD and Brucellosis meeting.
Marriott Room Reservations link is found on the CRWAD Home Page in the “Quick Links” list: http://www.cvmbs.colostate.edu/mip/crwad/. See the meeting related information and Ms. Sue Hagius's announcements below.
- 7/31/2013: Brucellosis 2013 (66th) International Research Conference: The 66th Annual Brucellosis Research Conference will be held December 7-8 at the Chicago Marriott, Downtown Magnificent Mile, Chicago, Illinois. The deadline of abstract submissions is: October 25, 2013. Hotel reservation deadline is Nov 8, 2013 (use the CRWAD hotel sleeping room information website to get the discounted rate). Ms. Sue Hagius provided the two documents: BRC 2013 Meeting Announcement, and RegOnline Instruction.
- 9/6/2012: Brucellosis 2012 (65th) International Research Conference: The 65th Annual Brucellosis Research Conference will be held December 1-2 at the Chicago Marriott, Downtown Magnificent Mile, Chicago, Illinois. The meeting will begin Saturday, December 1, at 8:00 am and conclude with the business meeting Sunday, December 2, at 5pm. Please check out more information from Ms. Sue Hagius's email and the meeting announcement Sue provided.
- 8/3/2012: Ms. Sue Hagius provided the following information: If you plan to attend CRWAD 2012 after our brucellosis meeting on December 1 and 2, 2012, you may need the deadlines. Remember our registration is separate from theirs and will be in the morning before the meeting begins. The hotel reservation link which you should use is also listed.
- Brucellosis 2011 (64th) International Research Conference: will be held on September 21-23, 2011, at UCA Auditorium, Puerto Madero, Buenos Aires, Agentina. The abstract submission deadline is May 28, 2011.
- Brucellosis 2010 (63rd) International Research Conference: was held on December 4-5, 2010, Chicago Marriott, Chicago, Illinois.
- 09/21/2009: 62th Annual Brucellosis Research Conference (BRC 2009): the meeting will be held December 5-6 at the Chicago Marriott, Downtown Magnificent Mile, Chicago, Illinois. The meeting will begin Saturday at 8:00 am and conclude with the business meeting Sunday at noon. the deadline for submitting a title/abstract is Friday, October 23, 2009. Please check Ms. Sue Hagius' email about the news. Sue also sent the detailed meeting announcement and abstract guidelines can be found here: HTML version, or Word version.
- 03/16/2009: 20 More Brucella Strains have been sequenced by Broad Institute. The sequences have been assembled and annotated. The collaborators for this project include Drs. David O'Callaghan (France), Adrian Whatmore (UK), and Renee Tsolis (USA).
- 09/10-13/2008: Brucellosis 2008 International Conference, London, UK.
- 06/16/08: Important International Brucellosis meeting dates and CRWAD information in Word or HTML format. The website for the Brucella 2008 International Conference (Including the 61th Brucellosis Research Conference) is here: http://www.defra.gov.uk/vla/news/new_conf_bruc.htm. The deadline of submitting abstract is June 27th (Friday), 2008.
- 10/1/07: Announcement about Brucellosis 2008 International Research Conference in Word or HTML format (from Dr. Adrian Whatmore).
More BBP News